About Me

We are a family of five (yes we count our dog) who are loving every minute that the Lord has blessed us with!

Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Hard Day :An Amazing Man... " I tell you... that's a fact!"-Papaw

Yesterday was a rough day. Our little town of Brevard lost a brilliant little girl to cancer. She was going in to 6th grade and had been battling brain cancer for almost a year now. Please pray for her family- the McCallums.

Our family was also thrown a curve ball yesterday afternoon. My grandfather had gone over to his brother Charlie's house to build a ramp (in the 104 degree heat). He came home and spoke to my grandmother and told her his jaw was hurting. She reminded him that this was a sign of a heart attack. He had no health problems previously. His response was, of course, "My heart is fine". He went on to take a shower and go downstairs to take a nap. As my grandmother came down the steps (not 5 minutes after him), she noticed a strange noise. By the time she was at the bottom of the steps, my grandfather was gone. My 16 year old cousin tried to revive him.

We were blessed that it was fast and he did not suffer.

My grandfather was an amazing man. Ryan and I spoke often about how we both grew up with only one set of grandparents, but that the Lord made up for it by giving us the best of the best. My grandfather was an outstanding man who loved everyone around him.

I remember, as a child, him taking the blade off of his lawn mower and allowing us to ride it out of gas around the yard. Allison and I pretended to be bus riders and picked up our younger cousins in the trailer.

I also have great memories from when my Grandfather owned a service station with his brother. I loved going over there and getting a pecan pie and a glass bottle of cheerwine.

My childhood is filled with memories of this brilliant man. He loved us with everything he had and showed it daily. Although predictable, I will miss our daily morning conversations.

Papaw: " Hello. How ya doin baby?"
Me: "I'm good"
Papaw:" I know your good." Or on occasion, when he was feeling sarcastic "Do I get to vote on that?
Me: " I'm fine Papaw. How are you?"
Papaw: "I'm great. Getting ready to go walk these dogs with James. I guess you called to talk to Grandma"
Me: "And you too."
Papaw: " I know. Well, you have a good day and (if in school) teach those kids lots! Let me go get Grandma."
Me: "Okay, I love you Papaw"
Papaw: " I love you too honey! Tell Ryan I love him too. "

I am sure you didn't need to read all of that. I think I mostly needed to write it for myself. This school year will feel funny without my morning good luck charm on the other end. I will miss him and his patience, his funny little sayings, his bear hugs, him walking me out to my car when I would go to visit them. There are lots of things I will miss. I am sure I could write all night. I will mostly miss his unconditional love and support.

I know that he is in a better place. I know that he is with our Lord and does not have to worry any more with earthly matters. What a blessing to know how much he loved the Lord and that he was ready to go home.

Please pray for our family. My grandmother especially. They were married for 52 years andebasically went hardly anywhere without each other. This is going to be extremely difficult for her.

Please pray for my cousin Caleb. He is having a very difficult time. I can imagine that he is experiencing some trauma from the situation.

Also pray for understanding for my 5 year old cousin. He was somewhat obsessed with his Papaw. He had him wrapped around his finger. They just got in to town about an hour ago and are having the discussion with him as I type this. ( I came on to my parents to give them a little space) Pray that my cousin Allison (Jakob's mom) has the right words to say and answer all of his questions.

Thanks for all of your love and support. I have appreciated all of the phone calls and emails. I feel very blessed to have such amazing friends.

No comments: